From Monday, 19 October 2020 Sutherland, Caringbah, Cronulla, Miranda, Menai and Engadine Libraries are open and operating with reduced hours. Sylvania and Bundeena Libraries remain temporarily closed.
Update: Monday 19 October
Sutherland, Caringbah, Cronulla, Miranda Engadine and Menai Libraries are open for loans and returns, self-service computer use and photocopying services during the following hours:
|Monday to Friday
||9am – 6pm
||9am – 12pm
|Caringbah, Cronulla, Engadine and Menai Libraries
|Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
||9.30am – 6pm
|Wednesday and Friday
||9.30am – 5pm
||9am – 12pm
|Monday to Friday
||9.30am – 5pm
||9am – 12pm
Sylvania and Bundeena Libraries remain closed until further notice due to NSW Health requirements.
We are working to ensure all the necessary health and safety protocols are in place before we can reopen our libraries. This web page will provide all relevant updates as they become available.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why are you only opening six branch libraries?
We are looking forward to when we can reopen all our libraries, however, we have put in place new systems for social distancing, hygiene and public records that are a State Government requirement for our opening. These new systems demand more staffing at customer service points to record contact details for everyone entering libraries, ensure compliance with social-distancing and hygiene practices, and maintain frequent cleaning of all touch points. Quarantining all library returns has also taken up a significant amount of floor space in each library. The smaller branches – Bundeena and Sylvania – will not be opened at this time to ensure we are meeting requirements and to help keep all open library branches safe for the community.
- What will be different when you reopen? What hygiene practices and safety protocols will be in place?
For everyone’s health and safety, and to comply with the NSW Government Public Health Order and Sutherland Shire Council's Conditions of Entry, visitors:
- will be limited in numbers in each library at any one time.
- must follow social distancing requirements, keeping 1.5 metres away from others.
- will be offered hand sanitiser before and after visiting.
- must provide their name and contact details.
Libraries will be following the guidelines and advice of health agencies, with the following measures in place:
- a library staff member will work as a concierge at the door to manage visitor numbers.
- all physical collections items (books, DVDs, CDs) will be quarantined for 24 hours on return.
- some services and activities will remain unavailable including print newspapers, Justice of the Peace services and help with computers, photocopying or scanning.
- only cashless payments will be accepted.
Please be patient, as we take a staged approach to reopening. We will continue to provide updates as adjusted services become available.
- Are returns chutes open?
Except for Sylvania and Bundeena Libraries (which don't have external chutes), return chutes at all other libraries are open 24/7. Note: Cronulla Library's chute is only accessible during Cronulla Central opening hours.
Now that we have reopened most of our libraries with COVID-Safe measures, we will no longer automatically renew your loans. It will be your responsibility to return or renew your loans on time to avoid overdue fines.
- I had a reserved item ready to be picked up before the libraries closed – what happened to it?
Items that were not collected before our libraries closed are no longer being held for you. Please call 9710 0351 to reinstate any cancelled holds you would still like to borrow.
- Can I start making reservations for items now?
You can begin making reservations on items in the library catalogue; these can be collected from Sutherland, Caringbah, Cronulla, Engadine or Menai. Other branch libraries are not available as pick-up locations as they do not have enough floor space for quarantining books to open at this time. Holds may take additional time to arrive due to quarantining protocols.
- How will I be notified when my holds are ready to collect?
You will receive an email or a letter when your holds are ready to collect. Call the library on 9710 0351 if you have NOT selected one of the open branches as your pick-up location.
- Is it safe to handle books and library items? What precautions are in place?
Sutherland Shire Libraries is following best practice advice from the NSW Department of Health and the NSW Public Library Network in developing protocols around the handling of collection items moving through the library network and the community.
All items returned through library returns chutes will be quarantined for 24 hours before being made available to loan. Strict hygiene rules will be in place for library staff and customers to follow when handling library items.
- Can I use a computer, photocopier or scanner?
Self-service copying and computer use for up to one hour only will be available at Sutherland, Caringbah, Cronulla, Engadine and Menai Libraries. We are making preparations to ensure our public computers and photocopiers can be safely sanitised and spaced to ensure social distancing protocols are followed. To maintain social distance staff will NOT be able to offer technology assistance with computers and/or photocopiers. Public wi-fi is available at Sutherland, Caringbah, Cronulla, Engadine and Menai libraries.
- When will library programs, like Storytime, resume?
- In-person events, including author talks, book groups and children's pre-school sessions, will continue to be delivered online only, until further notice.
We appreciate the community’s patience and support of each other as we work through these unprecedented circumstances. We are striving to keep our members informed in this rapidly evolving situation. Keep checking back here for the latest updates on our services. You can also like us on Facebook or follow us on Instagram to keep in touch.
Phone 9710 0351 (between 9.00am and 4:30pm Monday to Friday)