Community Halls Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions about hiring a venue from Sutherland Shire Council.  If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact one of our booking officers for advice.


How can I contact Council about an enquiry or booking?

You can visit our website to view availability, book and pay for a hall or send an email to Alternatively, you can visit us in person at the Council offices, 4-20 Eton St, Sutherland between the hours of 8.30am and 4.00pm if you have any questions that cannot be answered on this page.


When are venues available for hire?

Most venues are available for hire 365 days of the year, usually between the hours of 7am and midnight. There are some restrictions on hire times, for example; at Port Hacking Hall, functions must be finished by 8pm; at Menai Community Centre, all hirers must leave by 11.30pm.


I am under 18, can I hire a venue?

No, you must be 18 years or over to hire a venue.


Can teenage events be held in venues?

Bookings for teenage parties are not permitted in venues with the exception of 13th and 14th parties with some restrictions (there is an early finish time of 9pm, there must be 1 supervising adult per 8 teenagers and a high risk bond of $1,500 is payable). 


What are the conditions of hire for a 21st birthday or other high risk functions?

There is a high risk bond applied of $1,500.  Council security guards must be engaged at your cost for the duration of the party and a guest list must be supplied to Council in advance.


How much time can I book for a function/event?

Functions/Events are booked on an hourly 'event/function' rate basis.

All booked time is strictly inclusive of both set up and pack down time and the event/function.


What is the minimum period of hire?

One hour


What is the maximum period of hire per day?

Up to 17 hours (between 7am and midnight) with the exception of Port Hacking Community Centre (8pm for functions) and Menai Community Centre (11.30pm).


What types of activities are not permitted in Councils facilities?

Any illegal or undesirable activity


Teenage Parties

Bucks/Hens parties

Functions involving use or promotion of illegal substances

Activities that may involve or promote anti social behaviour

Activities considered inappropriate from the perspective of the NSW Police Force

Art/music exhibitions with offensive or inappropriate images.

Sale of adult products normally found in restricted premises

Any group or activity perceived as racist or coercive by the wider community

Activities involving the promotion of violence such as combat sports where participants are exposed to injury.

Activities involving animals in buildings


Can I book regularly, for example once a week or once a month?

Yes you can book as a regular hirer.  Firstly, check with the booking officer (see above for contact details) to find out if the date/time is available and then complete the regular hire agreement.


How far in advance can I book a venue?

Bookings can be taken up to 12 months in advance. 


Do I need public liability insurance? 

Yes, all hirers need to be covered for public liability insurance.  Businesses, organisations, sole traders etc will have their own public liability insurance (minimum $20 million limit required).


I don’t have my own public liability insurance – can I still hire a venue?

Yes, you can.  You can usually purchase council public liability insurance for a function/party or for a meeting and other types of events (eligibility conditions apply).  The booking officer will add this cost to your booking.


Is alcohol allowed on the premises?

Yes, alcohol is allowed as follows:

(a)  Alcohol Licence: hirers expecting to sell Alcohol on the premises must apply directly to Liquor & Gaming NSW for a licence.  Call them on 1300 024 720 between 9am – 4pm or apply on line at

(b)  Alcohol Consumption: hirers wishing to consume liquor on the premises must register the event on the ‘Party Safety’ section of the NSW Police Force website, Evidence of this must be provided to the Community Facilities office at Council otherwise the event will not be approved.


Does Council provide a catering service?

No, all catering is to be organised by the hirer.


Are there tea and coffee making facilities?

Yes, all facilities have access to a kitchen or kitchenette. Tea, coffee, crockery, cutlery etc are not provided and must be brought in by the hirer.


How do I get keys for the venue?

Keys can be collected from the Council offices at 4-20 Eton St, Sutherland.  Keys are available for collection between 8.30am and 4pm.  If you are having a weekend booking, keys are available to be collected on the Wednesday or Thursday before your (casual) booking or by Friday by 1pm (latest)


When do I return keys?

If you have a weekend booking, keys must be returned on the Monday following the booking before 4pm.  If you are having a midweek booking, the keys are to be returned the following day by 4pm. Keys not returned by the next business day will attract a charge.


Do all venues have key access?

Most of our venues are accessed with keys. The exception to this is Menai Community Centre which is accessed using PIN codes sent to the hirer prior to commencement of the booking.


Can I decorate the room?

Decorations are permitted but no tape or pins. All decorations are to be removed after the function. Any costs for repair of damaged surfaces or for removal of adhesives, decorations etc., will be deducted from the Bond.


Is there a cleaning fee?

No, hirers are responsible for cleaning the venue after the event. If not adhered to, this may result in the forfeiture of the bond.


Can I leave my garbage at the venue?

No, all garbage must be removed from the venue and taken away by the hirer. If not adhered to, this may result in the forfeiture of the bond. However, Cronulla Central and Alfords Point venues have lockable garbage areas and we are able to offer a special waste service at these venues.  Fees apply for this service - please contact a facility booking officer for details.


Can I arrange to view the venue before a confirmed booking is made?

Halls are available for viewing Monday to Friday by arrangement with a facility booking officer to ensure that other hirers are not using the venue at the time of viewing.  You will be required to produce identification and leave a deposit of $70 cash, refundable upon return of the keys on the same day. Keys can be collected from 8.30am and must be returned by 3.30pm.


Are there tables and chairs in the facilities?

Yes, these are available in all venues and set up and pack up must be carried out by the hirer within the booked hire time. Most venues have rectangular trestle tables (760mm x 1830mm).  Cronulla Central has some round tables (1530mm diameter).


Can I have a jumping castle?

Some facilities are suitable for jumping castles either inside and/or outside.  Please contact a facility booking officer for further information.


Can I set up the day before?

No, due to the regular use of the venues by other hirers, you must only set up on the day of your booking at the time you have booked.

Booked 'from' and 'to' times are strictly inclusive of set up.


Can I go back the day after my party to clean up?

No, hirers must pack away and clean up at the end of their hire period on the day of the hire.  Venues are often hired out on the following day.

(During the week prior to the booking date special arrangements may be possible for pick up of items and final clean early the following day). 


Can items be left in the building overnight?

No, all items must be removed at the end of the hire period. 

Special arrangements can be made, at additional cost, to leave items overnight for back to back bookings only, however this will be at your own risk.


Is storage space available for regular hirers?

Yes, most facilities have (limited) storage space available at a weekly cost, see Schedule of Fees & Charges. Contact a facilities officer for availability.


How can I pay for a venue?

Payment can be made:

  • Online by visiting  
  • In person: with cash, cheque or credit/debit card at Council's Customer Service Centre, 4-20 Eton St. Sutherland
  • Posted to Sutherland Shire Council, Locked Bag 17, SUTHERLAND 1499.Payable to Sutherland Shire Council.


When do I have to pay for casual hire of a venue?

A non-refundable deposit is due within two weeks of making your booking.  The balance of the hire fee and the bond must be paid at least one month in advance. 


How do I pay for regular hire of a venue?

Bookings are invoiced monthly and payable one month in advance.

A refundable key bond of $100 is payable for each set of keys issued.


Can the bond be refunded to my credit card?

Yes if your payment was made online.

Will I receive all the bond money back?

Normally, hirers receive the bond back in full. However, where there have been issues with the hire, a portion of the bond (or sometimes the entire bond) will be forfeited.  The most common reasons for bond forfeiture are: hired space not left clean, garbage left at the venue, using the venue before or after the booked time, damage to the venue etc.


How much will I pay for my booking?

Hourly rates:  There are 3 types of hourly rates which are listed on the Schedule of Fees & Charges.  Fees are dependant upon the type of activity and can be discussed with a Community Facilities Officer on 9710 0005.

The full rate applies to:

  • bookings using a facility for business or commercial purpose
  • hirers who are holders of an ABN
  • private individuals holding a private gathering or acting for private gain
  • bookings where guests are being charged entry either for a function or for competition
  • hirers funded by State Government for the service they are providing

The discount rate applies to:

  • hirers who are 'not for profit' or 'charity' groups and not charging entry to guests
  • hirers whose main purpose of use is public benefit (recreation, cultural or intellectual welfare of the community)
  • hirers who are special needs groups (disadvantaged and recognised as such by Council).

The event/function rate applies to:

  • all events and functions and all bookings from 4pm Friday, Saturday and Public Holidays to all groups incl. Not For Profit.


When will my booking be confirmed?

As soon as your booking application has been approved, and either a deposit (or full payment) made.

Council can refuse a booking and will contact you if the booking is approved or not approved.

Council can cancel a booking where the details provided on the booking application form are misleading and/or incorrect. In these instances the hire fee and bond may be forfeited.


Does Council offer advertising for my function/event on its website?




Address: ,

More information



Did this page help you?

We monitor feedback and will respond to your comments if you include your email address.

Please type the characters you see in the picture below

Please type the code in the box above

Have more to say? Complete our Community survey on the transformation of our website. We are focused on creating a website that provides an intuitive, easy-to-use, and efficient customer experience for our community and we need your feedback to ensure we have captured everything you’d like to see and do on our refreshed website. With the click of a button, you can help us build a better website for our community, provide your feedback now - 2021