Council has a modern beach wheelchair that is available for community use at Cronulla Beach. It is available free of charge for short term loans and can be taken on the sand and in the water. The beach wheelchair provides people with the freedom to enjoy the sand and the surf without any accessibility challenges.
The chair is available 7 days a week from 8am to 4pm in summer and 10am to 2pm in winter.
Bookings are necessary. Booking requests can be made online, on receipt the Cronulla Lifeguard Office will get in touch with you or call the Cronulla Lifeguard office on 9544 5399.
Book the beach wheelchair
Accessible parking is available at South Cronulla Beach in front of the Surf Life Saving Club. If you wish to use this space, please inform the lifeguard at the time of your booking so a permit can be arranged for you. Alternatively, you can drop your passenger off at this location and then park elsewhere.
Using the wheelchair
- Read the instructions before using.
- You will need to complete and sign our beach buggy loan book which must be completed each time it is booked.
- If you are using the beach wheelchair for the first time you must watch a demonstration for use of the beach wheelchair by the lifeguard on duty prior to using the beach wheelchair.
For the safety and convenience of users and other beach goers, some conditions apply to the use of the wheelchair. These include:
- The beach wheelchair can only be used at Cronulla Beach (South Cronulla).
- The beach wheelchair can only be booked during times when lifeguards are on duty.
- The maximum length of booking is 4 hours per person.
- A carer must be present at all times.
- The lifeguard on duty will determine appropriate weather conditions for use.
- The user/carer has the responsibility to look after the chair at all times.
- The user and/or carer must read and sign the use policy before the beach wheelchair can be used.
- The user/carer must return the beach wheelchair to the storage facility and inform the lifeguard that it has been returned.
Policies and documents
Beach Wheelchair Requests
Enquiries can be directed to Cronulla Lifeguard Office on 9544 5399 or firstname.lastname@example.org