The Department of Home Affairs manages ALL waiting lists and all questions must be directed to them. Council does not have any information about future citizenship candidates.
Applications for Australian Citizenship are assessed by the Department of Home Affairs. Further information about this including application forms can be found under their Citizenship information.
If your application for citizenship has been approved by the Department of Home Affairs, the final step in becoming an Australian citizen is taking the Pledge of Commitment at a Citizenship Ceremony in the presence of the Mayor. Council holds Citizenship Ceremonies on behalf of the government.
Council sends invitations according to the information the Dept of Immigration & Border Protection provide approximately four weeks prior to each scheduled ceremony. If you have been approved for Citizenship but not yet received an invitation to attend a ceremony, your information may have not been released to Council and is still being managed by The Department of Immigration on the waiting list. Alternatively, please check your junk/trash or promotions boxes within your mail server for our email. If you did not provide an email address on your application then we will post your invitation to you.
Sometimes waiting periods to attend a citizenship ceremony can be up to six months. If you do not receive an invitation after this period, enquire directly to the Department of Home Affairs.
On receipt of our invitation, please RSVP your attendance to us. If you are unable to attend you will need to let us know as well as the Department of Home Affairs. They will put your name down for the next available ceremony.
Upcoming citizenship ceremonies
All details of the ceremony are provided in your invitation. The following is a brief summary of the event. A link to Frequently Asked Questions is at the bottom of this summary.
Australian Citizenship Pledge
- The invitation you receive will have the words of the Pledge you nominated when applying for citizenship
- On the day of the ceremony you will also be provided a Pledge Card you can read from
- An audio version of the pledge is available on the Citizenship website if you wish to practice
- Should you wish to make the pledge on a holy book, please bring that holy book to the ceremony
- Children under 16 are not required to make the pledge
Length of ceremony
- Time of arrival for registration on the day can be up to 1 hour prior to the ceremony start. This is in order to avoid congestion at the registration table. Registrations close at 6:45pm (9:45am on Australia Day). If you are going to be late, please let us know.
- Approximately 1 hour with light refreshments served at the conclusion
What to bring
- Your invitation
- Photo identification (current Australian drivers licence is ideal). If you don’t have any photo identification, you must provide at least three documents with your name, address and signature (eg, bank statements, credit cards, bills). If you do not provide identification you will not be able to proceed with the ceremony
On arrival, you will be:
- Checked in - cnce registered you will be required to stay on the premises. Should you need to leave, ID will have to be re-confirmed
- Given a Pledge Card
- Required to complete an electoral form (even if you are currently enrolled this is required to show your change to Australian citizenship).
- Citizenship Certificates are presented by the Mayor to each new citizen
- All children will receive their own citizenship certificate
- If a child (under 16 years) does not attend the ceremony, the parents may collect the child’s certificate on their behalf, however, it is important we are advised of this in advance
Friends and family are welcome to take photos before, during and after the ceremony. Please remind them to be respectful of the Official Photographer and
An official photographer is also on hand and photos will be made available for sale at a reasonable cost.
The photos can be purchased at RG Photography, 58 Station St, Engadine or online: www.rgphotography.com.au
- All candidates will have reserved seating according to their nominated Pledge of Commitment
- There is no reserved seating for guests
Frequently Asked Questions
Enquiries can be directed to Events team - Arts & Culture on 9710 0993 or firstname.lastname@example.org