The Department of Home Affairs manages ALL waiting lists and all questions must be directed to them. Council does not have any information about future citizenship candidates.
Applications for Australian Citizenship are assessed by the Department of Home Affairs. Further information about this including application forms can be found under their Citizenship information.
If your application for citizenship has been approved by the Department of Home Affairs, the final step in becoming an Australian citizen is taking the Pledge of Commitment at a Citizenship Ceremony in the presence of the Mayor. Council holds Citizenship Ceremonies on behalf of the government.
Council emails invitations according to the information the Dept of Home Affairs provide approximately four weeks prior to each scheduled ceremony. If you have been approved for Citizenship but not yet received an invitation to attend a ceremony, your information may have not been released to Council and is still being managed by the Department of Home Affairs on the waiting list. Alternatively, please check your junk/trash or promotions boxes within your mail server for our email. If you did not provide an email address on your application then we will post your invitation to you.
Sometimes waiting periods to attend a citizenship ceremony can be up to six months. If you do not receive an invitation after this period, enquire directly to the Department of Home Affairs.
On receipt of our invitation, please RSVP your attendance to us. If you are unable to attend you will need to let us know as well as the Department of Home Affairs. They will put your name down for the next available ceremony.
Upcoming citizenship ceremonies
The acting Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs has issued a statement confirming that citizenship ceremonies will be held online during the COVID-19 pandemic. View the statement
There are no events scheduled
All details of the ceremony are provided in your invitation. The following is a brief summary of the event. A link to Frequently Asked Questions is at the bottom of this summary.
Australian Citizenship Pledge
- The invitation you receive will indicate the Pledge you nominated when applying for citizenship
- On the day of the ceremony you will be provided a Pledge Card you can read from
- An audio version of the pledge is available on the Citizenship website if you wish to practice
- Should you wish to make the pledge on a holy book, please bring that holy book to the ceremony
- Children under 16 are not required to make the pledge
Length of ceremony
- Time of arrival for registration on the day 30 minutes prior to the ceremony start. This is in order to avoid congestion at the registration table. Registrations close at the start of the ceremony. If you are going to be late, please let us know.
- Approximately 20 minutes
What to bring
- Your invitation
- Photo identification (current Australian drivers licence is ideal). If you don’t have any photo identification, you must provide at least three documents with your name, address and signature (eg, bank statements, credit cards, bills). If you do not provide identification you will not be able to proceed with the ceremony
On arrival, you will be:
- Admitted to the building by a Covid Safety Marshall (please refer to your invitation for council's Covid-Safe event requirements) and directed to the Registration table
- Checked in - once registered you will be required to stay on the premises
- Given your Pledge Card, program, and Australian Electoral Roll form (to be updated at home and returned to the AEC -even if you are currently enrolled this is required to show your change to Australian citizenship)
- Citizenship Certificates will be provided upon registration
- All children will receive their own citizenship certificate. For children under 16, these will be given to the parents/guardians on registration
Due to Covid-19 restrictions on gatherings, there will be no official photographs
- All candidates will have reserved seating according to their nominated Pledge of Commitment
- Due to Covid-19 restrictions on gatherings, guests will not be allowed
Frequently Asked Questions
The Sutherland Shire is Dharawal Country
Enquiries can be directed to Events team - Arts & Culture on 9710 09063 or firstname.lastname@example.org