Child Care Subsidy

Information for Families

The Australian Government’s Child Care Subsidy (CCS) is a means-tested payment.

The Subsidy is paid directly to services to reduce the out-of-pocket costs for care within Early Education Centres, Family Day Care, Before & After School Care and Vacation Care. (Vacation Care children must be aged 13 years or under and not attending high school/secondary school to be eligible. It’s possible the Subsidy could still apply for this category however families would need to initiate contact with Centrelink to determine their eligibility and next steps.)

The Subsidy is paid to your service and then deducted from your billing statements.

There are three factors which determine a family’s Child Care Subsidy:

  1. Guardian’s Activity levels
  2. The type of care accessed (Early Education Centre, Family Day Care, Out of School Hours Care)
  3. Combined Family Income


If you are intending to access childcare, we suggest you contact Centrelink on 13 61 50 (Monday–Friday 8am-8pm) to register your intent to place your child into approved care and obtain details of any CCS you may be eligible for. 

Please also visit the Australian Government's website for information regarding eligibility, how much you can get, how to claim the subsidy and how to manage your payment. 

In line with the NSW Public Health Act, an early education and care service cannot enrol a child unless the parent/guardian has provided the child’s up to date Medicare Immunisation History Statement.  Information on accessing the Statement can be found here.  


The Additional Child Care Subsidy (ACCS) is a top-up payment, in addition to the Child Care Subsidy (CCS).

Temporary Financial hardship: If you are experiencing significant financial stress, you may be eligible for a short-term payment from the Australian Government which helps families with the cost of childcare. Council cannot made any decisions regarding financial hardship eligibility. It is a matter for the federal government to determine. If a family would like more information, they would need to discuss their circumstances with Centrelink.

Grandparent: There is a payment from the Australian Government to help grandparents on income support who are the principal carers of their grandchild(ren) with the cost of childcare. 

Transition to work: This payment from the Australian Government helps families with the cost of childcare while they are transitioning to work from income support payments by engaging in work, study or training activities. 

Further reading is available here.  




Address: ,

More information



Did this page help you?

We monitor feedback and will respond to your comments if you include your email address.

Please type the characters you see in the picture below

Please type the code in the box above