Council allows approved personal trainers to operate in certain open spaces around the Shire.
- Any permits we grant do not give trainers and their clients exclusive use of an open space area.
- If we receive complaints from the public, these complaints will be investigated and if necessary permits will be revoked.
- Any trainers found to be operating regular fitness classes in a public open space without a permit will be fined.
- Permits expire on 30 June each year and must be renewed. Council will send out reminders to permit holders when the renewal date approaches.
Approved Personal Trainers Directory
- Only trainers registered with Fitness Australia or an equivalent body can apply.
- Trainers must hold a current Senior First Aid Certificate.
- We issue one permit per trainer (eg, if your business employs 4 trainers, 4 approvals will be required).
- When assessing your application we also consider any potential impact on the area you plan to train, other users of the open spaces and neighbouring residents.
- If approved you will be issued with identification that must be displayed on your person at all times during fitness classes.
- When applying we require a passport size photo of each trainer.
- Training cannot take place in our excluded zones.
Apply for Personal Trainer Permit
Apply for Personal Trainer Permit Renewal
Please see the Schedule of Fees and Charges
You must have current public liability insurance which indemnifies Sutherland Shire Council to a minimum of $20 million.
Class times and group sizes
- Daylight savings - 6am until 8.30pm.
- Non daylight savings - 6am to 8pm. Some reserves are permitted for use from 5.30am.
- A maximum of 18 participants per trainer where participants are undertaking the same activity.
- A maximum of 6 participants per trainer where participants are undertaking different activities (eg circuit training).
What activities are allowed?
- Fitness sessions (with or without weights, fitballs, skipping ropes etc).
- Boxing and pad training.
- Organised aerobic activity.
- Yoga, tai chi and pilates and like activities.
- Circuit training.
What's not allowed?
- Aggressive or intimidating activities.
- Use of amplified music or audio equipment.
- Dragging tyres/heavy items over any surfaces including sporting fields and parks.
- Portable fitness equipment/machinery such as spin bikes, weigh machines and rowing machines.
- Usage of picnic tables or park equipment to conduct training or to store equipment.
Parking on a grass open space is not permitted and penalties apply.
Before starting a class
Trainers must check the immediate area for any hazards and take appropriate action to remove any hazards.
Any hazards identified must be reported to us within 24 hours.
- Sutherland Shire Centenary Park.
- Peace Park.
- Fenced playground areas.
- Park furniture.
- Bushland areas as defined as zone 14 of the LEP.
- Camellia Gardens.
- Kareela Synthetic Ovals
- Forby Gardens, Sutherland.
- Munro Park, Cronulla.
- Group use (over 10 participants) of public ocean pools including Cronulla, Shelly Beach and Oak Park ocean pools, Cronulla.
- Within 10 metres of memorials and memorial sets, playground equipment and public change rooms, toilets or kiosk areas.
- Static commercial fitness training within 50 metres of residential properties.
- Sporting facilities (sports fields, netball courts and athletics tracks) that are used by allocated community sporting groups or schools who have priority of use.
If the permit holder has been issued with 3 or more written warnings; or 3 or more penalty notices, council will provide 4 weeks notice of termination of the permit as well as advise Fitness Australia.
Submitting the application does not guarantee approval. We will review your application and advise you of our decision.
Sporting clubs and associations, surf life saving clubs, corporate groups and Defence Forces fall under a different application process. Any significant organised activities by these groups should be applied for under our major events application.
Enquiries can be directed to Sport Services on 9710 0333 or firstname.lastname@example.org