Good access is good business
Sutherland Shire Council is strongly committed to the provision of equal access, and the development of a community which is inclusive to its residents’ workers and visitors.
The Inaugural Accessible Business Award seeks to recognise the efforts of the business community to be inclusive to the whole community.
The Award will acknowledge initiatives from business that enable people with a disability to access their premises and receive their services. The award is sponsored by Sutherland Shire Council’s Access Committee and the recipient will be acknowledged in local promotions and media, leading up to International Day of People With a Disability and in Ceremonies on the International Day, 3 December 2017.
The award is open to all businesses located in the Sutherland Shire Local Government Area.
Winners will be announced on 16 October 2017.
A business can self-nominate or be nominated by a member of the community.
Judging will be completed by a panel of judges consisting of:
- 1 representative from Sutherland Shire Council;
- 1 Representative from Sutherland Shire Council’s Access Committee; and
- 1 Representative from Ability Links.
Judges will be looking for examples of outstanding innovations by businesses that have endeavoured to improve access and or participation for people with a disability in their community.
Examples of improvement of access include:
- Providing disability awareness training to staff
- Providing signage to indicate that your business is inclusive and welcoming to all
- Developing creative solutions to overcome access challenges in rental premises
The winner will demonstrate that creating an inclusive community is not always about physical access, it is also about being flexible, responsive and offering opportunities for the whole community to access products and services.
Council recognises that better access and inclusion will benefit all residents and visitors.
How to Enter
All entries to be completed via the attached entry form.
Entries close 1 October 2017.
- How does the change or the effort undertaken by the business or service provide a solution to an access challenge?
- How does the adjustment or change align with the Sutherland Shire Council Disability Inclusion Action Plan?
How does the initiative improve access to the building?
How does this value add to the wider community?
Evidence of community consultation
Maree Everitt, Community Development Officer
Phone: 9710 0333